Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holiday Movie Reviews: Part 1

Hello Everyone!

Since my lap is conveniently occupied by my baby kitty, Twix, (spoiled, she is!) I thought I would take this opportunity to write my thoughts about the latest movies I've seen. I have quite a few coming up as well. If you have any suggestions for me (movies I should check out, dis/agree with my opinions etc)I'm all ears!

The newest tradition in the Decker family is to see a movie on Thanksgiving weekend. Usually a good movie releases that weekend anyways, so why not? This year we chose Tangled!

Tangled
The newest Disney fairytale is a cute movie. There's been a lot of hype around this film with the commercials, toys and clips all over TV and Internet. They portray it as a fun, fast-paced adventure with a little bit for everyone. It's absolutely that, but something seems to be missing...I can't put my finger on it...It's not up there with Beauty and the Beast or anything, but it delivers as a whimsical family film with a touch of Disney magic.

The magic is delivered through shining performances of the cast and creative characters. Mandy Moore blew me away as Rapunzel because she felt genuine and she was able to show off her voice, in speech and song! Zachary Levi was a the perfect choice for Flynn Ryder because of his versatility in humor and drama. He actually sings too! Even though the music is written by Alan Menkin (Disney composer extraordinaire!), the timing of the songs is awkward (forced, even) and the lyrics don't go very deep. There were a few songs which fit, like whenever Mandy Moore sang :), or when the Thugs in the tavern were given their moment to share their dreams! haha

My favorite characters other than the leads were Pascal the chameleon, the Thugs, and Max the Guard Horse! They were fantastic additions! Added a lot of humor and spunk to the film. I also really liked the way the story was modified to include magic, love and the characters still having a life after the 'magic' is over and they can move towards the 'happily ever after' stage :)

Overall, really liked it, but some key ingredients were missing. Easily overlooked because it's a fun story!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Wow...where to begin? Well, obviously, we've been waiting for this film for a loooong time, but it was worth the wait! The storyline is perfectly matched with the book (excellent!) and the visual elements only enhance the story telling; FINALLY!
My favorite enhancement was the choice to animate the Wizard Fable; very well done! It was wonderful to see Dobey again, for however short a time. *tear*(more of those to come, I'm sure!)

It's nice to see Ron/Rupert Grint having more than just a pout on his face. He's finally moving up to the same level as Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe. Rupert really beefed up for this role! He has SHOULDERS! haha For me, Emma Watson is the most talented of the three. I know no matter where life takes them, they're going to do very well.

I loved seeing more of the Death Eaters and Voldemort. So creepy and scary (could not believe there were kids some kids under 10 in the theater...parents are DUMB!) but that is the reality of that world.

Awkward Scenes: Harry and Hermione dancing (it was a nice break from all the tension), Harry and Ginny kissing (funny because she's obviously taller than him keehee, I'm mean, I know...), the Harry/Hermione make-out session (obviously not how the characters would act since Voldemort is trying to tempt Ron, I saw it as a lustful portrayal, not how the characters would really kiss if they had the chance) and Harry diving into icy water in just his underwear (not entirely unpleasant ;) just kidding!)

Rip-off Moment: When the Trio is running away from the Snatchers in the forest, the lighting and camera style are very similar to the running scenes in Twilight...Too similar....

Overall, enjoyed it thoroughly! Totally didn't feel as long as it was. Can't wait to see Part 2!

But until then, I know I'll have plenty of other films to see...

I've also been able to view some interesting films with the help of Netflix. My mom and I tried our first series. We can't wait to get a Wii so we don't have to wait for the next disc to come in the mail.

The series we watched was a bio/drama about the infamous actress of the Victorian era, Lillie Langtry. Simply titled Lillie, the series was made in 1978 by BBC. Obviously, at that time BBC didn't have the high production value they do today, so it was amusing to see the sets and you could tell the actors were on a sound stage. But the script and the cast bringing this story to life are so realistic and captivating, you really have to pay attention or you'll miss the clever comments and pivotal choices of the characters. My favorite character other than Lillie is Oscar Wilde. He has the best lines (which sound very much like lines from his books and plays) and he has great insight of others. Very interesting, but I would recommend it to those who are looking for a dramatic piece heavily influenced by actual events and people. Lillie led a very eventful life! She's an excellent example of how the life of a celebrity (and all the sacrifices that involves) hasn't changed in the last 100 years.


Movies Coming Up!

The King's Speech
Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
TRON Legacy (the Father-Daughter/Daughter movie this year since my big bros loved the original)

More to come!

all my love,

~Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment